Amb. Dr. Edouard Bizimana was born on February 10, 1968 in Burundi. He is married and is a father of four children.
Embassy of the Republic of Burundi to Germany
Dr. Edouard Bizimana (Ambassador of Burundi to Germany)
In 1998, he earned a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Modern English Letters at the University of Yaoundé in Cameroon, and went on to do a Masters at the Institute of Cameroon (IRIC). He received his doctorate in International Relations from the same institution in 2003. His thesis bears the title,“Armed conflicts and environment protection in the Great Lakes Region.”
During the course of his academic years, Amb. Dr. Bizimana carried out internships at prominent institutions including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cameroon, the Cameroon Athletic Federation, and the Diplomatic Studies Institute of Cairo in Egypt. Before embarking on his professional career, he also completed a specialized post-graduate internship in the field of business.
Amb. Dr. Bizimana joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Burundi in 2004, as Advisor to the Director-General in charge of cooperation between Burundi and Europe, and North America. In 2006, he was appointed Deputy Chief of Protocol in the Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic, and from 2007 to 2010, he was the First Counsellor at the Burundi Embassy in Washington D.C.
In February 2012, Amb. Dr. Bizimana was placed in charge of International and Regional Organizations in the Ministry of External Relations and International Cooperation, and shortly after, was made Permanent Secretary in the Forum of Political Parties (FDP). He has served as Ambassador of Burundi to Germany since June 2012.
Amb. Dr. Bizimana has several publications to his name including, “Quelle diplomatie pour les pays post-conflits? Quelles pistes d’exploitation pour le cas du Burundi?” (What kind of diplomacy for post-conflict countries?”, Sweet America (poem), and “Une vie à la sauvette. Savoir porter sa croix.” (in collaboration with Véronique Barindogo). Amb. Dr. Bizimana is fluent in French, Kirundi, and English, and has limited proficiency in Kiswahili. His general interests and hobbies include politics, policy analysis, reading, writing, poetry, soccer, and jogging.
1998 - 2003:
1998 - 2000:
- Doctorate in International Relations, International Relations
- Institute of Cameroon (IRIC)
1996 - 1998:
- Masters in International Relations (DESS), Institute of
- International Relations of Cameroon
1990 - 1993:
- Bachelor in Modern English Letters, University of Yaounde I (Cameroon)
University of Burundi, Department of Language and
English Literature (Burundi)
- High school Diploma, Lycee of Rusengo (Burundi)
From June 22, 2012:
2/15/2012 - 6/22/2012:
- Appointed Ambassador to Berlin, Germany
5/10/2012 - February 15th, 2012:
- Permanent Secretary in the Forum of political parties
2007 - 2010:
- Counsellor/Advisor to the Director
- General in charge of International and Regional Organizations in the Ministry of External Relations and International Cooperation
2006 - 2007:
- First Counsellor at Burundi Embassy in Washington D.C.
2004 - 2005:
- Deputy Chief of protocol inthe 2nd Vice - Presidency of the
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs : Advisor to the Director general
- In charge of cooperation between Burundi and Europe,
North America and NGOS
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cameroon
- Cameroon Athletic Federation
- Diplomatic Studies Institute of Cairo (Egypt)
- Stage de Perfectionnement en cours d’Emploi (CPF)
- Armed conflicts and environment protection in the Great Lakes Region (Doctorate dissertation in International Relations) 2003
- Ugandan and Rwandese military intervention in D.R Congo (Masters in International Relations).
- Quelle diplomatie pour les pays post-conflits? Quelles pistes d’exploitation pour le cas du Burundi (What kind of diplomacy for post-conflitct countries ?),
l’Harmattan, Paris, France, 2008
- Sweet America (poem)
- Many articles
- Une vie à la sauvette. Savoir porter sa croix. (in c ollaboration with Véronique Barindogo)
- (to be published)
- French : understood, spoken (fluently) and written (level IV);
- English: Understood, spoken (fluently) and written (level IV);
- Kirundi: mother tongue (level V)
- Kiswahili : spoken and understood (level III).
- Cameroon, Kenya, Zambia, DR Congo, Egypt, Ghana
I acknowledge that the information provided above is true and accurate to the
Best of my knowledge.
- Soccer, jogging, writing and reading, poetry, politics, policy analysis, etc.